NPR Radio On EADG!
Recently, we have been featured on multiple international media outlets regarding our project (including BBC). This morning, NPR’s Morning Edition ran a story on the current state of healthcare in Ethiopia, including our plan to build a center of excellence hospital. It was a balanced and positive reporting overall.
Key points made were:
(1) the current state of healthcare in Ethiopia needs a lot of improvement from lack of physicians to supplies, etc.;
(2) physicians from the diaspora are building a center of excellence (state-of-the-art) hospital;
(3) the target market for the hospital are those who can afford to pay in order to enable physicians from abroad to return to staff the hospital;
(4) the plan includes for returning physicians to train local physicians and for the hospital to set aside funds to provide care for those who cannot afford it;
(5) the government of Ethiopia is highly supportive of this project (Dr. Tedros’ comments unequivocally confirms this);
(6) GE is backing this project; and
(7) challenges remain to establish a center of excellence hospital in Ethiopia (nothing surprising here; if this was easy, it would have been done long time ago).
Here is the link to the report and article: http://www.npr.org/blogs/goatsandsoda/2014/08/14/337792969/reporters-notebook-a-not-so-grand-tour-of-ethiopias-top-hospital
Lets continue to focus on our common mission to establish a center of excellence, internationally accredited hospital that will be the catalyst for change in how healthcare is delivered in Ethiopia and the region.